Tips to Save Money on Heating Costs
With winter approaching, now is the time to learn some useful tips to save money on your home’s heating costs. While there is not one magic trick to radically lower your heating bills this winter, there are many things you can do to lower your heating costs throughout the season.
Start with an Energy Assessment
Fall is the perfect time to take stock of how your home uses energy by having an energy assessment done. You can perform your own energy assessment or hire a professional to do it for you. An energy assessment will show you how energy efficient your home’s heating system is, and also, areas in which your system is lacking, and thereby wasting money. A highly efficient heating system will operate optimally at the lowest cost because it will not waste as much energy. An energy assessment will find the areas in which your heating system can be tuned up to save you money on energy costs. For more information on energy assessments, check out How To Save Money on Heating and Cooling Your Home | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov).
Helpful Tips to Lower Heating Costs
After learning how you can make your heating system more efficient, there are many simple practices you can put in place to make your home cozy and warm without breaking the bank:
- Lower the thermostat: Yes, this one seems obvious, but many homeowners don’t realize how much lower their heating bills can be by simply lowering the thermostat to 70 degrees or lower.
- Dress in Layers: After you’ve decided to lower your thermostat setting, you will find that dressing in layers will help keep you warm, while lowering your heating costs.
- Use Window and Door Seals: Check around your windows and outside doors for drafts. If you find any, you can seal them to prevent cold air from seeping in and warm air from leaking out.
- Upgrade your Old Windows: If your home has old windows, you may want to replace them with more efficient, new windows. While expensive at first, this will save money on your energy costs in the long run.
- Go Solar: On sunny days, open the curtains to let the sun warm your home during the day. Close the curtains at night to retain the added heat.
- Insulate: Check your attic to see if you can add more insulation or upgrade your existing insulation.
- Maintain your Furnace: Annual maintenance of your furnace will keep it running at peak performance for a longer period of time and will make it more efficient, as well.
Stay Warm While Saving Money
Follow the tips above to stay warm this winter while saving money on your heating costs!